Sunday, January 17, 2010

Assignments for January 17, 2010 (Week 1)

After viewing the movie, Did You Know? , for my EDM 310 course at the University of South Alabama, I must admit that I did not know most of the staggering figures. A remarkable aspect of the movie to me was how readily available and quickly accessible the information was to the writers of the film on the Internet. To think that less than 20 years it would have taken someone years to calculate all of the figures presented, and by the time the findings were presented the information would have been incorrect. I did learn something that I did not know from watching the movie. I saw the word "exabytes" in the film, I didn't even know that was a word! I had to go and look it up.

"So what does it all mean?" is a very profound question. Knowing that my children will have so much information at their fingertips is impressive and a bit troubling. Although the information is readily available for today's children as they grow, are we prepared as teachers to help our students use the technology and the information for the betterment of society? I often wonder if libraries will become necessary. I am afraid my students will become so accustomed to googling information on the Internet that they will not even consider going to the library and looking at reference books to find beneficial information. Technology is a wonderful tool, but I have a fear of the unknown. What does it mean? I hope it means that we, as teachers, are able to help our students prepare for the unknown, their future.

After watching Mr. Winkie Wakes for my EDM 310 course at the Univ. of South Alabama, I had to laugh about the fact that in some ways schools have not changed in the past 100 years. It is nice to know my daughter, who aspires to become a teacher, will have job security. The animated content of the film helps lighten a serious concern that our schools are not keeping up with the technological advances needed in the real world. I haven't been asleep for 100 years and it is amazes me to the point of being ill, how quickly technology is evolving. I do feel safe and secure in my classroom just like Mr. Winkie.

Businesses and hospitals spends millions of dollars to stay technologically updated. Schools rely on too many outside sources of revenue to keep up with the every changing outside world. Like the teachers described in the movie, I do have my students' attention while they are sitting in neat little rows, but my Kindergartners are exposed to many facets of the world through literature and personal experiences that are provided to them from hands-on activities in the classroom. I can't imagine the changes that will occur in the next 100 years. Hopefully schools will still need teachers although they will not be in the same room as the students.

Ken Robinson Says School Kills Creativity was a very entertaining and enjoyable presentation. His background in education allows him to use examples of how schools, not just in America, but around the world can stifle a child's ability to learn by not being to express themselves creatively. Sadly, but true, the stress of performing well on a test is all consuming to some parents, teachers, and schools. My Kindergarten students in the private school where I teach must take an entrance exam and an exit exam. As teachers, we know that children learn in many different ways. Educators must use all of those modalities to reach students.

Mr. Robinson did not, however, address how we manage to incorporate every one's creativity in today's mainstream classroom. We are not to label our children because that could be considered discrimination or biased. Public school systems do not always offer magnet schools that focus on certain learning styles or interests. I believe Sir Robinson would be impressed with the quality of our magnet schools offered in Mobile County. I agree with Mr Robinson that "all children are born artists". Allowing my Kindergarten children to show their creative talents is easy when they are 5 and 6 years old, but it becomes increasingly difficult in the older grades. Teachers do not have the resources.

Vicki Davis is a true teaching pioneer. She deserves credit in admitting to her children that they have taught her many things. Children need to know that no matter your age, people are still learning whether you are 9 or 90! Teachers try to give students real life experiences in education. Research shows that children use those real life experiences to help them learn.

I was so intrigued by the school, I searched for more information on Westwood Schools. This is a private college preparatory school for grades K3-Grade 12. Do all the children in the school have access to the computer technology that is used in Ms. Davis' class? It would be much easier to harness your students' digital smarts if you have the funding. Money can provide many useful resources in education. This article would make a good comparison for private school vs. public school, but that would be another course.

2 comments:

  1. Re: Did You Know 3.0? As I've pointed out to many other edm310 bloggers take the figures for what they are, one mans perspective. There are so many ways to look at those numbers. But, In your case I think it accomplished the main task of getting you to think and ask questions. Your questions are good. Keep asking and seeking answers that's what this course is all about. Keep up the good work! SS

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also questioning everything the first week! I really enjoy your blog posts!

    ReplyDelete