Thursday, February 11, 2010

February 14 Assignment (Week 5)

Wikipedia is a source of information. I know my children have used Wikipedia as a source for gathering information on school projects. Wikipedia is just one source, however. My children usually have to use at least 5 sources, and only 2 of those sources can be Internet-based. I would compare gathering information for projects to using various assessments used in grading our children. One source/ one test doesn't give you all the information you need whether it be for gathering information for a project or gathering information on a student.

The NPR article stated that the practices are not illegal. The Wikipedia website specifically states "anyone can edit" that information on the website. Educators need to make sure that we encourage children to compare and contrast information from various sources. If there is a discrepancy, then that will lead the student(s) into more research, and create an interest to finding the actual facts. Is Wikipedia a trusted source? Well maybe not for "the whole truth", but it is a source of information to get you started on your research journey.


"What I've Learned This Year" by Mr. McClung was a refreshing post. It sounds like Mr. McClung had his challenges during his first year of teaching, but learned some valuable lessons along the way. He chose to use those lessons to help make him a stronger teacher. Yes, we learn and grow from our mistakes. I wonder if he learned more from his accomplishments or his mistakes.

The topics that Mr. McClung chose to comment on in his post are experiences that all teachers have sometime in their teaching career. I believe Mr. McClung will continue to use his experiences during his first year will help make him a stronger and more productive teacher. Every year will offer another set of challenges and those hurdles will offer more solutions from which to grow. I especially liked his comments about remembering to set attainable goals for yourself, as a teacher, and your students. Most importantly, we should never stop learning!


Comments for Kids

This week I was connected to Mr. Lamshed's class blog. The boys were celebrating participating in Tie Tuesday Hall of Fame. The boys were brave to wear their dashing ties in 38 C weather!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with a lot of what you said. I too use wikipedia for a "quick source". I don't see it as the most reliable source of information but when I need a general idea on a subject it works great. I hardly ever cite it, I just use it so I know what I'm researching. In addition to this, I also found Mr.McClung to kind of be a breath of fresh air and I really valued his point of view.

    ReplyDelete